Sunday, July 26, 2009

Ms. O'Riordan


While debating whether to splurge on Dolores O'Riordan tickets (she's at the Fine Line in October), I thought of something funny that happened a couple of years ago. I was on a plane between Osaka and San Francisco, sitting between a traveling friend of mine and a rather uptight-looking businessman. My friend was looking through my CDs, and he asked who The Cranberries were after noticing how many of their discs I had. The businessman looks up and asks incredulously, "You don't know who The Cranberries are?!?"
~
To jog his memory, the businessman erupts into this Celtic, 50-syllables-per-second yodel a la Dolores O'Riordan. I giggled for the entire 2 remaining hours of the flight. Wherever you are, Mr. Businessman, you rock.

6 comments:

  1. Ha Ha. That's a great story. Did you splurge?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. Maybe I'd crack up too after hearing someone so uptight to belt a few lines from The Cranberries. :D - Meian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool story! And cool businessman.

    Lennongirl (via Swap-bot)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story :) If every international flight I flew had someone as interesting as that, my flights would never feel so long and boring!

    It would have been super awesome if the three of you started singing together by the end of the flight!

    - jcblink

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great story. You can't always judge a book by its cover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the reminder! I knew there was a band that I had heard mentioned today that I really wanted to look into again. It was the Cranberries! Now I'm doing that.

    I LOVE moments like that, especially as someone who is on a plane with reasonable frequency. I love when my judgements (usually gathered unconsciously, I certainly don't MEAN to make judgements) are very wrong, when people do the unexpected. Moments like that make my life! Go you, Mr. Businessman!

    - Kiwi / CarbonxKiwi (SB)

    ReplyDelete